Saturday, February 13, 2010

Watch the Birdie!

No Comments please, this isn’t my homework blog on social networking - Scroll down to "Running in Place" for my homework blog.

Over the past decade I’ve heard a lot of people, myself included, brandish the self-diagnosed label of A.D.D. (Attention Deficit Disorder). Do we really have A.D.D or do we just lack discipline and/ or focus? Okay, now put that aside for a minute because I don’t want to ponder that right now. What I do want to air is that a chronic habit of “following shiny objects” can be detrimental to a tight schedule if you’re surfing the net with a purpose in mind. Here’s an example:

Tom very thoughtfully embedded some Twitter tutorials and other links on our Techfusion310 wiki. I didn’t find Twitter as intuitive as blogging, RSS-ing and Google-Reading, so I decided to take a few minutes to review the resources. I watched both videos and then noticed the link about hashtags (I am resisting the inclination to embed the link because I want you to stay here!) I had questions about hashtags so I clicked on the link. About 7 seconds later I was looking at this picture --> --> -->

Question: Why would Tom send me here to learn about Twitter?

Answer: He didn’t. He sent me to a blog about Twitter which had a link to this page that caught my attention and I saw the little birdies and clicked on them because, my friends, I am a chronic shiny-object-follower!

My Essential Question: Will a little less caffeine and a little more focus keep me from blowing my deadlines?

No comments:

Post a Comment